Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Malikah

Lebanese Queen of Rap Lynn Fattouh, known as Malikah. Born in Marseille, France in 1986, Malikah is a Lebanese Algerian raised in Beirut. What makes her a unique Arab rapper, singer, and MC, that stands out in the industry, is that she is not only a female but she also raps fluently in Arabic, English, and French. “I have a collaboration track on Aks’seir’ album, that was released a couple of years ago where I rap in French and Arabic (Algerian accent),” she said. This track was the retake of the famous Abdel Kader for Algerian Singer Cheb Khaled.
Malikah describes her “2 personalities” when it comes to music. “Malikah is the rough, serious, hardcore, Arabic woman who raps about politics, religion, and social issues; and MC Lix is my alter-ego, the feminine, sexy lady who is more commercial and talks about love, friendship and so on,” she added.Malikah first hit the Lebanese hip hop scene in 2003 when she performed in front of a number of Lebanese Male rappers at the “Peak Hall,” Lebanon. “Back then, I had to cover my face because my parents were against me rapping,” she said. She secretly continued doing her thing until she was asked to perform on Lebanon’s Future Television show “Zaven” in 2003. “This is where I had to face my parents. Eventually we spoke and made a deal that they would let me do my music as long as I keep up with school,” she explained. Three years later Malikah started MC’ing.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]